Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recommended Reading

Marriage is one of God's great gifts. After 4 years of marriage I would say that Mike and I have a pretty good marriage, but, I find myself always wanting to make it better (maybe it is the perfectionist in me). The sin of selfishness can lead me to get caught up with what my husband is doing or not doing to make me happy, and I sometimes focus too much on striving for that "ideal marriage" that I picture in my mind. I recently began reading the book entitled: Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy? by Gary Thomas I have found that this book reminds me that although striving to improve our marriage is not bad, the more important thing is my relationship with God (striving to know Him better, to trust Him more fully, and to love Him more deeply). And, whether a marriage is delightful or difficult, any situation that calls us to confront our own sinfulness has enormous spiritual value. From the back cover of the book..."Scores of books have been written that offer guidance for building the marriage of your dreams. But what if God's primary intent for your marriage isn't to make you happy...but holy? And what if your relationship isn't as much about you and your spouse as it is about you and God?" From p. 26: "This is a book that looks and points beyond marriage. Spiritual growth is the main theme; marriage is simply the context."

So, if you are searching for a book on marriage, I recommend this one.

2 comments:

Magic Mike said...

Nice post. Your husband sure is lucky!

Anonymous said...

this sounds like a great book, Jen... thanks for letting us know about it! It also sounds like it goes right along with our Ladies Seminar today. It was on biblical Contentment. It was sooo good... hope to share highlights for me with you next we see each other :) lv ya!