Thursday, October 23, 2008

Frugal Friday: Saving on your Heating Bill

Just about everyone has turned their heat on around here. (Our friends who are still holding out on turning their heat on said that it was 50 degrees in their house the other morning - yikes, now that's frugal). We are very blessed that we do not have to pay for our heat or utilities but I am still trying to get us both accustomed to keeping the thermastat turned down. I'm no expert on this topic so I've posted some links for saving on your heating bill this winter (hopefully these are all reliable sources, if anyone is an expert on this and you see something that is wrong here, please let me know)... 12 ways to fight soaring heating bills (from msn money website) Heat & cool efficiently (from Energy Star website) Ask Mr. Electricity: Saving Money on Heating How to save money on heating bills (from eHow website) Cut your heating costs and save money this winter (from Good Housekeeping website)
----
I have not done much shopping this week, just a few of the basics pretty much. Here are the best deals that I found for the week... Hawkins Boneless pork loin or chops $1.98/lb Hunt's ketchup (24 oz) $1.39 Bauman's apples (3 lb bag) 2/$5 Buehlers Grapefruit 5 lb bag $3.99 Ohio Grown Apples 10 lb bag $6.99 RiteAid Crest ProHealth toothpaste $3.19 - $3.19 rebate = Free CVS Colgate MaxFresh toothpaste $2.99 - $2 = $.99 G.U.M. Toothbrush 2 pk. $3.99 - $3.99 = Free Powerade 32 oz $1.69 - $1.69 = Free Kleenex $.89 (cold & flu season is coming) L'eggs pantyhose Buy 1 get 1 50% off And, finally, the most exciting thing for us this week was that Mike got a "bag of crap" from woot.com...If you are not familiar with this, it is a basically a mystery bag of items for $6 and it is not easy to get because the items are worth a lot more than $6 - it sells out very quickly - some have even reported recieving a big screen TV! Now I am not promoting the idea of just accumulating more stuff - I'm hoping that it is something that we can sell off on ebay for a profit...
...I'll let you know what is in the mystery bag when it arrives...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a benefit where we are now...Ted heats his office downstairs and it heats us! Especially when they turn on the fireplace down there...WOW is it warm up here! I think we have things set at about 68-69 all winter...half the time it doesn't run.

We got our electric bill for this month though...VERY happy...no fans, no a/c, no heaters = $56.10 electric bill! wahoo!!! it's usually doubled that! I like this month! :)

Anonymous said...

so how did you get MaxFresh colgate - I wanted to try that - the kids have the kids version and does wonders for their breath but is your $2 credit in CVS bucks? Just wondering if I missed a coupon in the paper. :) ~ I got a prescription filled there this week and earned a free $25 gift card so I plan to use it to start my bonus buying days at CVS and stock up on the CVS bucks thing.

Anonymous said...

It is a monthly ECB deal for October (through 10/31) but Sat. after I posted the deal on the blog there was a coupon for $1 off in our newspaper so I actually got it for free.