Friday, June 19, 2009

The Other Side of Things

I never would have guessed that just a few months after leaving my job as a public health nurse who spent hours on the phone giving advice in communicable disease outbreak situations and had participated in those pandemic flu drills, that I would be so close to the novel H1N1 "swine flu" virus pandemic. The school has been dealing with an outbreak of swine flu on campus for the past week. It has been under control for a few days now, but scheduling for the summer is not to resume for another week. We have been essentially "on-call" for the last week but I will say that it has been a such a blessing that we had a couple days without kids to finally relax a little bit and sleep in this week although I still don't know if I will ever be caught up on sleep or not. We are also very thankful that this outbreak has not placed anyone in the hospital and that so far we have stayed healthy even though we have been in and out of homes where there has been illness.

No comments: