Monday, September 15, 2008

Meal Planner Monday: Stuffed Peppers

It's the time of year when bell peppers are in season, so "Stuffed Bell Peppers" makes a great, healthy, inexpensive meal (you can find green peppers at the farmer's markets for 4/$1 if you don't have your own)... I make mine in the crockpot using this recipe... 4-6 bell peppers, yellow, red or green, depending on preference (cleaned) 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (I use lean beef or 1/2 of each...see more about this on this week's Frugal Friday post) 1 cup of white rice (or less) 1/4 cup oatmeal 1 egg Salt Pepper Spoon mixture into the green peppers and set in the crockpot. Pour 1 can tomato soup (with the water added) over top. (Tomato sauce would be good too.) Cook on low all day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this sounds like it'd be good... I make mine totally different though... no tomato juice. It's dryer and I add cheese. We like cheese here :) But I"ve never thought of oatmeal. Did you see the recipe somewhere or did you invent it? ~ Oh, and sorry for interrupting your phone call last night. We just HAD to spread the fun news :) I"m sure you understood. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

It's mom's recipe - I just changed the meat a little to include ground turkey. Mom said that you make your's different - that sounds good too. No, of course I didn't care about you calling while I was talking to mom and dad. Sounds like you had a fun time last night...I posted a comment on your blog.