Sunday, March 8, 2009

Meal Planner Monday: Mexican - Tex Mex Lasagna

I am trying to work through our cupboards to use some of the stocked-up staples and I found this recipe for Tex Mex Lasagna on the box of lasagna noodles. I thought it sounded pretty good, so I tried it and we really liked it. It's easy, low-fat/healthy and rather inexpensive because it does not take any meat. I am definitely going to save it for future use in Hershey. It would also be a good one for a potluck or if you are fixing a meal to take in to someone after having a baby, surgery, etc because you prepare it in the morning and let it set for 6 hours before you bake it...
------
Tex Mex Lasagna (Prepare in the morning, and cook at night)
1 box Lasagna noodles (the recipe says 9)
3 cups chunky spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
1 can (15 1/2 oz) pinto beans, drained (I used black beans)
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed (I used canned corn, drained)
1 package chili seasoning mix
2 cups ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
In medium bowl (I used my Pampered chef batter bowl), stir together spaghetti sauce, water, beans, corn and chili seasoning. On the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread 1 cup sauce mixture. Arrange lasagna noodles over sauce. Cover with 1 cup sauce. Spread 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese on top. Arrange another layer of lasagna noodles over cheese. Repeat with 1 cup sauce, 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese, lasasna noodles. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 6 hours. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake covered, 45 minutes. Uncover lasagna sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese on top and bake another 15 minutes, uncovered. Let stand 15 minutes. Serves 8.
I want to try it with more beans and additional veggies to make it even healthier.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! Except not big on black beans so I'd have to figure something else out...hmm...

Anonymous said...

You could use different beans - kidney, chili, ?refried...That's part of what makes this recipe healthier than other lasagna - beans are healthy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good and you get more veggies!
I'd use the cottage cheese though. Good job Jen!
mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds good

dad

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used cottage cheese - low-fat on all of the cheese - maybe I didn't say that.

Unknown said...

Yeah - never been a fan of ricotta cheese...which is why I don't like most lasagnas...so I'd use cottage cheese too.

I'll post what Ron made (I chopped) tonight...and our later "desert" treat...yummy! :)