Monday, December 8, 2008

Meal Planner Monday: Soups - Chicken Noodle

The reports indicate that flu season hasn't officially started yet, however, the common cold seems to be making its rounds. I managed to get by with only about 2 days of feeling really under-the-weather last week, with some help from extra vitamin C, ecchinacea, a day off work to get some rest and God's grace. So, I thought now would be a good time to share how easy and cheap it is to make homemade chicken noodle soup which by the way has been proven to be "good medicine" for the common cold. Ingredients: Chicken (I usually use leg quarters or thighs but a carcass would be good to use to) Water Onion Carrot Celery Salt Pepper Seasonings (I use some parsley and McCormick Chicken & Fish Seasoning) Noodles (I like to put in 1/2 regular Inn Maid medium and 1/2 whole wheat) Boil chicken in pot full of water. (I leave the skin on but you could remove it before boiling the chicken.) Add seasonings, vegetables. When chicken is cooked through, remove and let cool enough to handle. Skin and debone the chicken, break into pieces and put the chicken back into the pot. Add noodles and cook until tender. I don't have an exact recipe but you could find one in a cookbook or online if you want something more precise. If there is not enough liquid for the leftovers I add a box of chicken stock. Be aware that the chicken boullion (and powdered soup base probably too) contains MSG, so I stay away from those when I make my soup. Enjoy and best wishes for a healthy winter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. So far we've been good. Guess we're not around quite so many 'germy things' now!! yea
( I'm sure more sleep helps a little also.)

mom

Anonymous said...

we LOVE homemade chicken noodle...
I usually cook a whole chicken in the crockpot - tear it apart and freeze that meat & broth in portions. When I want to make the soup, I usually add mixed vegetables and egg noodles... a little garlic and seasonings. So delicious and much better than the can! - oh, can't forget the homemade biscuits and applebutter on the side :)