Sunday, November 9, 2008

I've been tagged!

I've been tagged by my sister, Julie, to list 5 things I love about my husband. She did such a great job sharing 5 things that she loves about Keith that it will be hard to follow her, but here it is...
5 Things I Love About My Husband...
1. Mike has surrendered his life to the Lord Jesus Christ. He is continually growing in his faith. He has great knowledge of the Scriptures and is very insightful in his teachings and "Theological Thursday" blog posts. I love that I can turn to him to help me with my understanding of the Bible and have deep theological discussions with him. He is committed to leadership in the church and the Lord's will for his life. I am also humbled by his prayer life. I often will ask what he is doing if he is sitting quietly on the couch or while we are in the car traveling and he says he is praying. I am so grateful for the Lord's working in his life.
---
2. Mike is committed to our marriage. He desires to have our marriage glorify God and for us to serve the Lord together. We do devotions, pray and read marriage books together to strengthen our marriage. He can be very romantic and thoughtful. I love it when he plans a little weekend getaway to a bed & breakfast or a date night as a special romantic treat. He does little things to make me feel special, like opening my car door, doing the dishes without me asking or starting the car for me to go to work on a chilly morning. He's not too "tough" to take a bubble bath, take a long walk on the beach with me holding his hand, cuddle or watch a "chick-flick" together. He often says that he misses me. He is very patient and rarely complains about anything (unlike me). He also gives me a different viewpoint on some things (such as evangelism, for example) because of his own experience and personality. Although that will sometimes cause friction between us, we "balance" each other. I have learned that being married to someone who is not exactly like me allows the Lord to challenge me and work on my attitude - that it would be truly Christ-like, not that I have a certain opinion/attitude just because of my own personal experience, and I have grown to appreciate that.
---
3. Mike makes me laugh. There are times that I will be having a bad day or things will be rather unexciting and he will either say something or do something to make me smile or chuckle...like, just recently, singing karaoke before Jason & Kerby's reception or doing the "Yearbook" pictures of us on his blog. Not everyone gets to see this side of him because he appears to be quiet most of the time. But, whether it be saying a pun randomly, joking or telling a funny story from his childhood, or any of the other random creative funny things he does, I am thankful that I have him to keep life enjoyable even when things are serious or not going well.
---
4. Mike is so talented. He is so intelligent and athletic. He has never had any formal computer training and he has somehow become the backup IT person at work. He is responsible about how we spend our money and is financially-wise. He was even considering a job recently with Edward Jones. He has been a little entrepreneur, buying and selling on eBay at times. When he is motivated he can get the job done in a lot less time than anyone else. The other evening he surprised me with a clean apartment - it took him less than 2 hours - it would have taken me all weekend. He is also very creative and a great problem-solver. And, he still amazes me with his magic tricks.
---
5. Mike genuinely loves and cares about his family, including all of the "in-laws." He enjoys being at home with me, spending time with family whenever we have the chance, praying for them, playing golf with my dad and brother, doing fantasy football with my family, playing with nieces and nephews, sitting and talking to his Grandma and I could go on and on. I understand that he was his great grandmother's favorite and he loved spending time with her. She passed away very soon after Mike and I started dating, but I am glad to have had the chance to have met her. We visited her in the nursing home and I will always remember Mike gently caring for her and feeding her a banana and how her spirit changed knowing that Mike was there even though she couldn't open her eyes or speak.
I am so thankful that the Lord gave you to me to be my husband, honey, I love you!
And, now I tag Amy A., Jenny G., Maria D. and Dana J. to share 5 things you love about your husband either by leaving a comment on my blog or simply sharing with your hubby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, you did a great job! :) I definitely would "second" the honoring his family whether his or ours - I know that is something that has really always stood out to us. A genuine concern and love for others. Great job honoring your hubby! Didn't it stir greater love for him too when you wrote the post though? lv ya.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for tagging me! I love sharing how wonderful my husband is! So, here is my top 5 list:

1. He loves the Lord - Steve leads us in Bible studies, devotions and prayer times. He is involved in our church and has encouraged me to become involved also. We enjoy discussing the sermons we hear in church and Sunday School. We also enjoy talking about how God is working in our lives and our marriage and how we can be obedient to His will.

2. He loves kids & is so good with them. One of the things that first attracted me to Steve is how much he just enjoys being around kids. When I met him, he taught 5 year old Sunday School. I was able to go with him a couple of times, and just watching the way he interacted with & taught the kids made my heart melt. Even now, the kids that we have in our 4-year old class somehow always seek him out to read a story to them. It is so cute to see them jump up on his lap. I can't wait for that to be our own child.

3. He surprises me. I got home last night after he had gone to bed, and there was a card on the kitchen counter waiting for me. He brings flowers home after work, buys me chocolate, does housework, and other silly, little things that mean so much to me. I am truly blessed that God gave him to me.

4. He is a car-loving, techie, engineer with a built-in GPS unit. Which is great, because I am none of those things! He can fix just about anything, troubleshoot stuff on the computer, and he enjoys working on my car for basic maintenance stuff. I am learning to not question his judgment when it comes to directions. There have been multiple occasions when I thought we were hopelessly lost and he somehow got us back on the right track. I don't understand it - I just go along for the ride!

5. We share a lot of the same interests. We both love to travel and have had a lot of great adventures in the 4 years we've been together. But, he is willing to give some of the things that I like a try (he came along with me to the art museum to see the Monet exhibit and then took me back as a surprise on my birthday!). He'll sit through some chick flicks and Jon & Kate Plus 8, even though I know he would much rather be watching football or, let's be honest, just about anything else!

Have a good weekend!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! Great job honoring your husband - and, what a wonderful blessing & gift from God to be married to such a special Christian man.
Love,
Jen