Saturday, December 10, 2011

Meal Planner Monday: Gingerbread Pancakes with Lemon Butter Sauce

Last December, we had gingerbread pancakes with warm lemon butter sauce at a bed and breakfast we stayed at in Ashland, OH. Very festive and oh, soooo yummy! The smell of these spices in breakfast pancakes on Christmas morning or on a snowy December day really warms up the home. Personally, I think the lemon butter sauce works better with them than maple syrup, but maybe that's just me. I searched the internet for a recipe that sounded good and this is what I ended up with. I made them this morning. Mike said he like plain pancakes better but he ate 8 of them, so I guess they were pretty good.
---
Gingerbread Pancakes (from Taste of Home)
* I made half of the recipe and still had a lot (maybe 24 or so)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 cup molasses
6 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp allspice
4 cups milk
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add molasses. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
---
Lemon Butter Sauce (Mom's recipe)
Mix together:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
Stir in: 2 cups water
Boil 1 minute.
Add:
1/4 butter
2 tsp lemon juice
Lemon rind

No comments: