Sunday, April 5, 2009

Meal Planner Monday: Breakfast & Brunch - Overnight Whole-Wheat Pancakes

I recently found this recipe on the internet (here). I wanted to try them out because I thought it would be a great way to save a little time in the morning when we make a hot breakfast during the school week. Well, it did save the prep time, but I definitely need to find a more efficient way of cooking them - maybe we will shop around for a large griddle. Anyway, they turned out pretty yummy and very healthy because I also made a "Triple Berry Sauce" for them (which I totally just put together the recipe myself), which was delicious. Even Mike liked it! (Does that sound like the old Life cereal commercials...He likes it..Mikey likes it?) I think they would be perfect with a dallop of homemade, old-fashioned, real whipped cream on top (we just used Cool Whip)!
Overnight Pancakes
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or you could substitute with all all-purpose flour)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2 cups buttermilk (I cheated by adding 1 Tbsp white vinegar per 1 cup milk)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then beat in eggs, buttermilk, yeast mixture and oil. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
To make pancakes, pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Makes about 20 pancakes - probably 6-8 servings.
----------------------------------------
Triple Berry Sauce
*No Added Sugar, Fat-free, All Natural and loaded with anti-oxidants!
Puree together about 6 oz each of frozen or fresh blueberries, blackberries and strawberries until you have a thick sauce. (I think Aldi has a bag of frozen mixed berries with a similar combination (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries) - at least they used to.) You could add sugar if you prefer, but I think it is pretty good without any sugar. I did add a little bit of orange juice, but I don't think it changed the taste at all. Heat sauce on stovetop or microwave. Serve as topping to pancakes, waffles, ice cream, angel food cake, etc. Makes about 4-6 servings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mikey liked 'em!


haha - that's great! :)

mom said...

sounds really good.

I'll have to copy the recipe!

kristine.shook said...

am going to trythem for this weekend! thanks!